MCG Legal    Blog    Surrogacy Family Lawyers

Are you considering having a child through surrogacy or have you yourself been asked to be a surrogate mother?

If the answer is yes, it is extremely important that you know your legal rights around surrogacy in Australia.

Definition of surrogacy

Surrogacy is a method of assisted reproduction that helps people start a family when they are otherwise unable to do so.

There are two types of surrogacy arrangements:

Gestational Surrogacy – is when the carrier of the child has no genetic connection.

Traditional Surrogacy – is when the child is related to the surrogate and was created using either the intended father’s sperm or a sperm donor.

An embryo is created using an egg and sperm given either by the intended parents or by donors. The embryo is artificially inserted into the surrogate’s uterus for the term of pregnancy and the baby is returned to the intended parents after the birth.

Surrogacy is a complex and time-consuming process which can include counselling, psychiatric assessment as well as legal advice. Surrogacy is not something that should be entered into without deep consideration and planning.

Is Surrogacy Legal?

In Australia, altruistic surrogacy is legal. Altruistic surrogacy is when the surrogate does not receive a financial benefit for the surrogacy. Whereas commercial surrogacy (receiving payment for being the surrogate) is illegal.

Whilst you will be expected to cover medical costs and any other out of pocket expenses, you cannot enter into a financial agreement beyond this.

The current Australian laws that pertain to surrogacy dictate that the woman that gives birth to a child & per partner are the lawful parents of the child regardless of genetics. This means that under Australian law, surrogacy agreements are not legally binding. Australian surrogacy law recognises that the legal transfer of parentage is the responsibility of the state/territory governments.

As a result, if you want to formalise surrogacy arrangements you will need to get a parentage order.

Parentage Orders – Get A Contract

Most state/territory laws on surrogacy regulate surrogacy arrangements in Australia and provide the means to transfer the legal parentage of children providing that the surrogacy arrangements meet any requirements that are set out in legislation.

Parentage orders or adoption will need to be set arranged in accordance with QLD laws. It is possible that a surrogate may change her mind and want to keep the child. This does not happen often thanks to the councilling and support services available to surrogate mothers, but it does happen from time to time so it is important to legally protect yourself from this happening.

To protect you in this scenario, we recommend having an MCG lawyer create a contract for your surrogacy. The contract will clearly set out your intentions before beginning the surrogacy process. The contract needs to be written, signed and witnessed so that it will stand up in court if required.

If yourself or a loved one is looking into surrogacy arrangements, we invite you to call us on (07) 5591 2222 or contact us regarding a free 30-minute initial consultation.

Back to Family Law

Recent Articles

Child Custody & Parenting Disputes

Many relationship breakdowns involve children – which leaves the question, “How will the children spend time with their mother and father post separation?”.  The paramount consideration in all disputes involving children is the concept of the “child’s best interestsR...

Read More

DNA Testing & Paternity

A relationship breakdown involving children can occasionally raise questions about the paternity of the child.  Ultimately DNA testing will determine beyond any reasonable doubt who the child’s parents are, but other matters are taken into account before that DNA test is conducted. A child bor...

Read More

Grandparents Rights to See Grandchildren

A relationship breakdown involving children not only affects the parents directly involved, but often the extended family members such as grandparents. The Family Law Act 1975 (“the legislation”) supports the generally held view that children should be entitled to have a relationship with their g...

Read More

Child Support Agreements

A written agreement between parents or carers of children about the payments to be made in support their children is called a child support agreement.  Child support can be made in all sorts of ways, e.g. direct payment of a set amount to one of the parents/carers into their nominated bank account e...

Read More

Child Location and Recovery Applications

Some post separation parenting disputes involve the removal of children from their geographical location. Changing a child’s living arrangements, such that it makes it significantly more difficult for the child to spend time with a parent is a major change in a child’s life and something ...

Read More

Pre Relationship Binding Financial Agreements

It is possible for two parties about to enter into a relationship to enter into a legally binding financial agreement which details how “pre-relationship assets” and “matrimonial assets” will be divided in the event of separation. It is important that both parties entering int...

Read More

Consent Orders & Separation Agreements

Your relationship has broken down and like many couples you have accumulated assets during that relationship.  You can agree on how your property should be divided without any court intervention and the most effective way to distribute the matrimonial assets is through one of the following legal ag...

Read More

Child Relocation Disputes

Parenting disputes involving the relocation of a child or children of a relationship are relatively common and always controversial. Recent legal developments result in the establishment of the following legal principle:- “Where a parent of a child or children is seeking an order from the court per...

Read More

Family Mediation Services

Mediation is a process in which parties to a dispute, with the assistance of a neutral third party (the mediator), identify the disputed issues, develop options, consider alternatives and endeavour to reach an agreement. The mediator has no authority to bind participants to a negotiated agreement, bu...

Read More

Spousal Maintenance

One party to a marriage (read into this de facto) is liable to maintain the other party to the marriage if the other party is unable to support themself adequately and to the extent the first party is reasonably able to do so. Before making any spousal maintenance orders a court must consider what pr...

Read More

Property Settlements - for both married and de facto relationships

Sadly, not all relationships last. Many couples are able to successfully negotiate the division of their assets and care of their children without legal intervention. But, there are some who cannot and that’s where we get involved. This article will explain the general court processes and the...

Read More

Resolving Financial Matters in Family Law

In resolving property matters arising from the breakdown of either a marriage or a de-facto relationship, the Family Law Court and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia have jurisdiction to resolve these matters pursuant to the Family Law Act 1975. With regard to de-facto relationships, there are a...

Read More