MCG Legal    Area of Law    Divorce Lawyers Gold Coast

The end of a relationship can be hard for everyone involved whether the relationship be marriage or de facto.  The more you can know about the legal side of the separation, the better understanding you’ll have as to what to do next.

Once you have separated, there are some things that are important to do prior to seeking a divorce. You will need to inform organisations like Centrelink, banks, superannuation and insurance companies.  You need to be separated for at least 12 months before you can apply for a divorce.

Divorce is the official end of a marriage but is not necessary to finalise property and children’s matters. You can separate and make arrangements for children, finances and property without getting divorced.  Remaining married post separation may affect your financial rights and obligations. Meet with our Team to find out how. A divorce will be necessary if one partner wishes to remarry.

De Facto Relationships

Contrary to popular belief, a de facto relationship is not solely determined by the time spent together. A de facto relationship is defined as 2 people living together on a genuine domestic basis. Separation in de facto relationships is treated much the same as separation for married couples. This includes issues relating to finance, property, children and custody matters.

Children’s Matters

It’s important to remember that the court will always try to determine matters based on what is best for the children and want them to have a relationship with both parents and other family members important in their life.

Most parents love their children and want to be a part of their lives, however no one parent can simply take the children and move to another state without the other’s consent or permission from the Courts and if they did so, you have rights to seek the childrens’ return. The facts surrounding your circumstances need to be properly assessed by our legal Team for specific advice on your rights.

Matters of Child Support are very complex and differ greatly for each situation. If possible, you can make a private, amicable agreement to be drafted by a Family Lawyer, being either a Binding Child Support Agreement or a Limited Child Support Agreement.  Contact us to allow us to explain the difference.

Spousal Maintenance

Spousal maintenance is money that may be payable from one spouse to another due to the circumstances of the relationship. In most cases, maintenance is only payable where one partner is unable to reasonably support themselves and the other has the capacity to provide financial support. Spousal Maintenance can be sought on an urgent basis if one spouse is withholding financial support.

Spousal Maintenance should not be confused with Child Support as they are two entirely separate issues.

Where to Start

First and foremost get advice.

Make an appointment with a Family Lawyer in order to get accurate advice regarding your situation. Our Gold Coast divorce lawyers will need some information from you such as full names and dates of birth of those involved, the type of relationship, the beginning and end dates of the relationship, children in the relationship, property and financial resources of both parties at the start of the relationship, contributions by both parties towards financial and children’s matters and an overview of what is left now including values.

This information will allow your Family Lawyer to understand your situation and provide you with relevant legal advice on what to do next.

MCG Legal can provide you with the assurance of skilled advice and representation to help you resolve your situation. Whether you are on the Gold Coast, Brisbane or anywhere else in Queensland, we will walk you through the available options and advise you on the path to take to achieve the best outcome for you. In some instances assets may be tied up in your marriage but no cash. DO NOT let that stop you from seeking legal advice. Many lawyers including MCG Legal can assist you in working around the financial issue. See our article “Affording Legal Fees”.

Find out more about our lawyers and read testimonials from past clients.

We invite you to contact our experienced Gold Coast divorce lawyers today, regarding a free 30 minute initial consultation.

Recent Articles

Why You Need a Strong Advocate on Your Side

Having a strong advocate on your side is critical. In this piece we dive into why it is so important to get you the best possible outcome. You don’t want a piecemeal lawyer who can’t tell you directly what they believe your best course of action. Having clear advice helps put on the path ...

Read More

5 Reasons To Keep Your Will Up To Date

A Will is one of the most important legal documents you will ever sign. Despite this, only 59% of Australians actually have a Will and many of those do not have a Will that reflects their current circumstances. You cannot overlook the importance of planning for your family’s future. If you do n...

Read More

How We Help Clients Referred To Us

For most professional service providers, a great deal of work comes through referrals. The reason for this is that most professionals focus their advice in a particular area, and as such, when questions come up that they cannot help with, they want to make sure their client gets the best advice from ...

Read More

Matt's Story

Many of you will know that MCG Legal has been advising Gold Coast businesses for over a decade, but have you heard how we started out? Our Principal and founder Matt Gill started MCG Legal in 2009, but you may not know that before starting his life in law, Matt served for over a decade as a police of...

Read More

What Are My Rights If My Partner Leaves With My Kids?

Children can sometimes find themselves in the middle of separation disputes when one parent tries to relocate the children, such that the relocation makes it significantly more difficult for the child to spend time with the other parent. Obviously, these situations are can be traumatic for everyone, ...

Read More

5 Standout Gold Coast Restaurants We Love To Support

We love supporting local businesses. Both with our practice and with our wallets! Especially local restaurants!! It has been a tough market for a lot of restaurant owners in Australia for some years. Rising costs, changing spending habits and shifting demographics have made it hard for even the bette...

Read More

Understanding the Three Types of Child Support Agreements

One of the most stressful parts of a divorce process is dealing with child support. It’s important for anyone who finds themselves in that situation, to understand the different types of agreements you can enter into with your partner. A child support agreement is a written agreement between pa...

Read More

The MCG Legal Story

When you’re busy growing a firm, raising a family, and trying to have a life at the same time, you can neglect to tell your own story (or even reflect on it). This has certainly been the case for us in the past few years. Moving forward though, we’re taking a new direction with our blog a...

Read More

When Should I Speak to a Lawyer About My Relationship?

Relationships are tough, and going through a breakup is one of the most stressful situations any adult can deal with. Sadly, what makes it even more difficult is not understanding your rights, not knowing what you can do, and feeling stuck. As family lawyers who have gone through relationship breakdo...

Read More

5 Ways Gold Coast Professionals Can Build Strong Referral Networks

Referrals are the lifeblood of professional services firms. And why wouldn’t they be?! As professionals, we tend to deal with similar clients, just at different times and in different points of their lives. Living in a place like the Gold Coast where everyone knows everyone, it is absolutely cr...

Read More

4 Actionable Tips to Help You Through Your Divorce

“How good will it feel to wake up tomorrow and know that this is behind you?” As a leading family law practice on the Gold Coast, we know just how difficult the divorce process can be for our clients, even when they get the best possible result. We’ve actually been through it ourselves, so ...

Read More

Child Custody & Parenting Disputes

Many relationship breakdowns involve children – which leaves the question, “How will the children spend time with their mother and father post separation?”.  The paramount consideration in all disputes involving children is the concept of the “child’s best interestsR...

Read More