Meeting with a Solicitor can be overwhelming, but if you have started to think about booking an appointment, it is no doubt, already necessary.Here is everything your need to know about your first family law meeting.
Here are a few points to remember if you are about to have a consultation with one of our Gold Coast Family Lawyers:
- Your matter is confidential, even if you only have one consultation;
- You will be advised what to bring to your appointment in advance, having as much of this information prepared will help us give you the best advice;
- We understand you may be anxious; we are here to help and act in your best interests;
- You will be better informed if you provide one of our Gold Coast Family Lawyers with your priorities at the start of the appointment – e.g. you may not have children with your estranged partner and might be most worried about potentially relinquishing any claim you have to the matrimonial home if you move out;
- It is important to be open and honest in this discussion, as the accuracy of our advice depends on the accuracy of the information;
If you choose to move forward, we will map out the next steps;
- We will give you our best estimate on costs;
- You can bring a friend or family member for support;
- We encourage you to ask questions throughout the appointment, it may help to have some prepared in advance, and to take notes during the meeting.
The article is written by Family Lawyers Gold Coast, who practice in the area of Family Law and is intended to offer simple explanations to frequently asked questions about what to expect from your first family law meeting. It is not legal advice and should not be relied upon as same as it does not answer questions specific to your situation.